"the trusted voice of teens who travel"
January 11th, 2013
Image via Flickr by Ethan Oringel
Experience history and a serene landscape when you visit and explore beautiful Nantucket Island. You’ll be able to slow down and enjoy the quiet pace of this city as you explore beaches, lighthouses, acres of open space and much more.
Nantucket is truly an island paradise that is 3.5 miles in width and 14 miles long, located 27 miles off the coast of Massachusetts. You’ll be met with architecture from the Federal, Greek, and Georgian styles, situated along quaint cobblestone streets. These building styles reflect the area’s rich history as a prosperous whaling port.
Currently Nantucket Island has preserved its rich architectural heritage in modern day buildings such as Nantucket hotels, meeting centers and more.
When visiting the island you find many island activities including:
• Go surfcasting or fishing for blue fish from the expansive shores, or take a charted trip for some exciting deep-sea fishing.
• Visit captain’s houses that are sprinkled among the galleries and stores.
• Visit the Nantucket Whaling Museum that includes a 47-foot whale skeleton and scrimshaw exhibits. You’ll also see the original fabrics from the spermaceti candle factory.
• Beer lovers can follow the “drink local” creed and visit Cisco Brewers.
• From private charters to sailing excursions, there are plenty of tour options. Take a bike tour around Nantucket or a walking tour to see all the historic and well-preserved buildings located around Nantucket. Explore churches, historic buildings and more via these tours.
• Take an afternoon and enjoy a round of golf or some tennis. You’ll enjoy the tennis courts at Jetties Beach, and the Sconset Golf Club and Miacomet Golf Course.
• Enjoy discovering the natural wonders of Nantucket through wildflower, birding, and nature walks. There are also wonderful whale watching and seal excursions available where you can discover these wonderful sea creatures.
• With more than 80 miles of beaches, Nantucket is the perfect destination for beachgoers. Enjoy an afternoon soaking up the sun, and go beach combing for stones, shells, and beach glass.
You’ll find three iconic lighthouses on Nantucket Island, the most famous being one located on Brant Point. You’ll find Sankaty lighthouse on the east side of Nantucket, located on a high cliff. On the northeastern tip of the island, you’ll find the Great Point lighthouse. When visiting these lighthouses, be sure to throw a penny in the water as legend has it, it will guarantee a return visit.
Have a relaxing and restful vacation on this quaint, historic island. You’ll want to keep coming back.