"the trusted voice of teens who travel"
August 13th, 2014
Hi guys! I’m Bianca, a new addition to the Teen Travel Talk team! I’m English, though I was born and bred in Singapore, and I just turned nineteen years old – but exploring the world around me has been a passion of mine pretty much since I was born. I’m lucky enough to be able to say that to date I have been to more than 50 cities, 25 countries and 4 continents – and I can’t wait to share my stories with you!
Growing up in Asia has meant that I’ve had the good fortune of visiting Bali pretty much every summer since I can remember. It’s one of my favourite places on the planet, and so I thought for my first post for TTT, I’d let you guys in on why this little island is your new dream destination!
1. There’s a sense of culture here that is unlike any other. Known as the Island of the Gods, religion and spirituality are of the utmost importance to all its inhabitants – wander down any path at any time and see incense burning over colorful offerings, or even an intricate ceremony taking place. You can literally feel the tranquility in the air – breathe it in!
2. The weather! It’s around 30 degrees Celsius, always. Avoid the rainy season if you can, but not to worry – there will still be balmy sunshine from sunrise to sunset, and the perfect amount of breeze… Max and relax by the pool or beach and add a little tanning oil to really soak it up.
3. You will never, EVER be bored. Each of the island’s bustling localities offers a different kind of experience. Head to Nusa Dua for resort-style luxury, Uluwatu for an action-packed surf sesh, or Seminyak for some serious shopping – and if you’re up for a little more adventure, take a boat out to a nearby island like Nusa Lembongan, and enjoy the view (don’t forget the snorkels!)
4. Bali is one of the most picture-perfect places I have ever been. There’s definitely a ramshackle feel to its beauty – dilapidated houses with straw roofs are right next door to five-star resorts, and children play in the streets by booming beach clubs. But it’s that authenticity in the mix of modern direction and traditional island living that makes Bali so unique.
5. The food and beverage scene on the island just keeps getting better! There is such a range of cuisines – local warungs serve Indonesian food at its finest for under $1, right next to chic new cafés that cook up healthier twists on Western favourites – think spicy eggs with black beans on pulled pork, or tropical smoothies chock full of passionfruit and mango. There’s a little something for everyone, and it’s all bagus!
Although my shortlist doesn’t even come close to doing it justice, I hope you’ve gotten a little taste for this tiny corner of pure paradise, and that you will one day get to visit Bali too! Safe travels! Bianca x
Photo credits to Emilie Butler